Saturday, January 23, 2010

As life goes, I bumped into the Lindemans Bin 99 Pinot Noir 2000 at Tom Thumb today... I don't like it as much as the Little Penquin...



And so it goes... I compared the prices at Tom Thumb.
The Lindemans is a buck more than the Little Penquin.
Both are from Australia. The Lindemans is dated. The Little Penquin is not. If you google Lindemans Pinot Noir 2009, you come up with no meaningful review, I will list two...
For my money, and I am not planning to buy a bottle of Lindemans to prove my point, I would just purchase the Little Penquin for about the same money as the Lindemans.


Review #1
http://www.cheapwinereviews.com/lindemans-bin-99-pinot-noir-2004

skbreese's Full Review: 1999 Lindemans Bin 99 Pinot Noir 2006
Australian Wines have grown in worldwide popularity within the last few years. In fact, the Australian wine industry is currently the 4th largest exporter of wines in the world. I have recently begun sampling a variety of Australian wines, the latest of which is Lindemans Bin 99 Pinot Noir. Lindemans produces a variety of wines under the Bin series including the Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Reisling, Semillion Chardonnay, Shiraz, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon.

The Company:

Founded by Dr. Henry J. Lindeman, a graduate of London's St. Bartholomew Hospital, Dr. Lindeman discovered wine making while traveling in Europe in the 1830's, when he became fascinated by wine's health benefits. He planted his first vineyard in 1843 in New South Wales, Australia. According to the company's website, Lindemans has emerged as the number one Australian wine brand in the world, with Lindeman's simple philosophy, "the purpose of wine is to bring happiness.

Taste:

The Lindemans Bin 99 Pinot Noir is a soft, red, wine with a fresh, fruity fragrance. It is a moderately complex, balanced, semi-dry wine with a hint of spice and strawberry, and a rather weak, slightly musty finish. Due to it's lack of bold flavor, I recommend paring it with pasta, poultry, veal, or vegetarian dishes that will compliment its medium bodied, semi-sweet, quality.

Characteristics:

Color: Ruby red
Complexity: medium
Fragrance: Light, fruity
ABV: 13.5%

Overal Recommendation:

Those looking for a bold tasting, semi-dry, wine will likely be disappointed with Lindemans Bin 99 Pinot Noir. However, is an affordable, widely available, red wine, perfect for those looking for the health advantages of a red wine, without an overpowering flavor. It is a nice compliment to blander dishes such as poultry and pasta. Although there are more flavorful Australian wines available on the market, Lindemans Bin 99 Pinot Noir is a nicely balanced, easy drinking wine, for those who enjoy slightly sweet, fruity, semi-dry wines, without a strong aftertaste. Although, I'm not sure it lives up to its purpose of bringing happiness, this wine offers a pleasant enough taste for casual wine drinkers.

Recommended:
Yes

Year: Earlier
Winery Name: Lindemans
Varietal: Pinot Noir
Designation: Australian
Country: Australia
State or Region: Hunter Valley
Price: 5.99
Wine Rating Scale: Drinkable

Review #2
http://albinnyc.blogspot.com/2009/04/lindemans-bin-99-pinot-noir-2008-549.html

Saturday, April 18, 2009
Lindemans Bin 99 Pinot Noir 2008 $5.49 ***

This is my fourth outing with a Lindemans wine. It is all things Australia today, Australia in the bottle, Australia on the TV (way too long a movie - but not AS awful as the critics said). I am skipping the Vegemite though (shudder). Since I have enjoyed all of the Lindemans so far, I am expecting that this Pinot Noir will hold to the status quo.

First sip as the pilaf is simmering and the steak is sizzling on the grill, this is a perfectly adequate wine. Fresh, fruity with a dry bite as an aftertaste. No tannins. For the price, I'd keep a couple of bottles on hand for those nights when you want wine but don't want to open up an exceptional bottle. There is a sharp aftertaste. Next glass will be with a run through the Vinturi - and I am curious to see what the change will be.

Well, I have to say that the vinturi is still my best purchase of 2009. It brought this wine to a new mellow level. The weirdness is, now I can taste some tannin (furryish tongue) but the wine is ever so better. Totally quaffable. I'd serve it for a dinner when I want to impress people (and still be cheap).

Menu:
Caprese Salad
Skirt Steak
Broccoli Pilaf
Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream

The wine was GREAT with the Steak. Lindeman's, even your fake cork is a good one. A good utilitarian way to save some money and enjoy a good wine. Trader Joe's Wine Shop and the Linedman's Winery are a good match.

Oh, and if you are reading this blog because you are trying to save some money and still live well, I have a tip for you - regarding chef's knives. Ditch your ego and forgo designer knives (and knife sets). I invested $13.10 on a Victorinox 8" Chef's knife and $25.42 7" Victrorinox Santoku along with the 3" Pradel Inox that I bought in Paris at a grocery store, are the knives I use the most - and I love them (my other designer knives languish in their Wustoff block). My guests care about the food that I serve them, not the label on the utensil that I prepped the food with. I've found that keeping my ego in check has saved me thousands - well worth it!
Posted by ALBinNYC at 6:17 PM
Labels: *** Three Star, Australia, beef, Red

No comments:

Post a Comment